Sunday, October 4, 2009

What to Write?

The answer to this question can be pretty basic. Write what you like, write what you like to read. That's true, to an extent.

You may love romance, and within romance there are a lot of different categories and subgenres. So where to go from there?

When I went on my hunt to decide what to write, I selected category romance for a very simple reason at first. Harlequin accepted unagented, unsolicited submissions. There was no way I was going to be able to get an agent, and who was going to solicit me? From there, I selected my favorite imprint, Present/Modern to aim at. And that was the beginning.

I think it's important to have an idea of who you're writing for before you write it. It's all well and good to just start on a book idea you have in your head. (and who am I to say it won't be the next Twilight Saga?) But from a pragmatic standpoint, having an idea of where you want to send your manuscript, whether there's a market for your idea, and if there's a publisher who will look at your MS, is an important place to begin.

Maisey

No comments:

Post a Comment