Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Character and Building it

There's been a lot of discussion over at http://jackieashenden.blogspot.com/ about characterization. One of the commenters suggested using astrology to help nail down a character, and that got me thinking of all kind of fun things a person might try...

The Myers-Briggs personality test...taken as your hero or heroine of course! Here's a link: http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp After you score it, make sure you click on the link that will break down what the personality type means. (I'm ESFJ, for those who wanna know!!)

Also there's the 'temperament test' http://www.oneishy.com/personality/personality_test.php (I'm Sanguine Choleric)

And a little Chinese Zodiac (I'd be the tiger!)http://www.chiff.com/home_life/holiday/chinese-zodiac.htm

Have fun!

8 comments:

  1. That sounds like fun Maisey. And a good way to get to know your character too. I usually interview them but this is much more thorough!
    Thanks for the links.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it's helpful! Truthfully, I'm a naughty girl. I don't usually even interview my characters...they kind of...grow as I go I guess. But, I could definitely see this being a very useful way to go about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Maisey, nice links! You're a sweetie for getting all these together. I'm going to go off and try all of them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was horrified to find out I'm Melancholy/ Phlegmatic. (sounds attractive, huh?) Then I checked out the characteristics and decided it was accurate. I'd still prefer to stick another label on it... assessing type who is laid back and peaceful? I'm happy with that!

    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for these links Maisey! Very useful. I tend to just write myself into my Characters like Jackie but then find myself in difficulties trying to figure them out later in the story! This may just help out :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robyn, Haven is melancholy phlegmatic, and I'm sanguine choleric. Funny thing is, his mom is way into this stuff and she's told him from the time he was a kid he needed to marry a sanguine. :-)I swear I took the test AFTER we got married.

    Kerrin, I really do hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Maisey. First off a BIG CONGRATS on your call!!! I have a couple of east /west astrology book that talk about personality traits and another that compares husband/wife - year/sign mix.

    When I read the one about my husband & I it was so true. Leo/Rat with Sagitarrius/Pig makes for lots of bills and lots of loving. So true. Broke but in love.

    Take care.
    Gibb

    ReplyDelete